From granary to PS.SPEICHER
The centre of the exhibition is the six-storey granary from 1898.
The former grain storage rooms now house rare specimens that tell the story of individual motorisation. What used to be a storeroom for horsefeed is now home to historic horsepower.
From storehouse to PS.SPEICHER
Find out how the old Einbeck storehouse became today’s PS.SPEICHER. We hope you enjoy viewing our story!
With the aid of a Prussian funding programme for the construction of granaries, the Einbeck agricultural cooperative commissioned the construction of the storehouse in 1898.
It was built as a six-storey brick building with a wooden internal structure with capacity for around 1,000 tons of grain. The planning and construction was implemented by the Einbeck company, Schramm.
- 1897 Establishment of the Einbeck agricultural cooperative
- 1898/99 Construction of the Einbeck storehouse
- 1899 Leasing and commissioning by the cooperative
- 1901 Renaming of the cooperative to KORNHAUS eGmbH
1914 KORNHAUS eGmbH takes over operation of the storehouse from the Prussian state and erects a four-storey extension with similar storage capacity. This extension collapsed in 1933 and was rebuilt the following year, with a different facade and internal reinforcements.
- 1914 KORNHAUS eGmbH buys the storehouse from the Prussian state for 65,000 marks.
- 1914 Extension of the granary and construction of an office building
- 1933 Collapse of the extended part of the granary from 1914 due to structural faults
The storehouse remained operational until 2000. In addition to a modern silo building built in the 1960s, the historic granaries remained partially in use. In the following years, the storehouse changed hands several times and was at risk of becoming industrial wasteland.
- 1934 Reconstruction of the extension
- 1947 Construction of a scale with weighing house
- 1964 Conversion and vertical extension of the office building
- 1978 The two storage buildings are listed as historical monuments
In 2009, Einbeck businessman Karl-Heinz Rehkopf purchases the storehouse with plans to realise the PS.SPEICHER. Between 2012 and 2014, the former storehouse was historically restored and converted for its new function as an exhibition building.